Friday 14 June 2024

Day 9: Rain and Visitors

 After yesterday's beautiful sunshine and light breeze, Shetland decided to remind us what it's usually like so today there's a tonne of wind and it rained all day.  It didn't stop Mum and me from hunting and gathering dinner later but it kept Dad turtling at the flat.

We started off today by sleeping in, something we haven't been able to do since the start of this trip.  I got out of bed about 10 and don't feel the least bit guilty for getting all that sleep.  Mum and Dad were up earlier than me, but they weren't doing that well in getting going either.

While we were still in our pajamas, we had our first visitor for the day: Elizabeth.  She didn't stay but she brought us home bakes of chocolate cake and lemon cake.  Elizabeth is the former Principal Teacher of Home Economics at Anderson High School so she knows how to bake.  Dad will eat her cakes even though he's not a cake eater usually.

Our one trip out happened about noon, which was only down to Pete's Cafe and Takeaway to pick up dinner for this evening.  After a week of stuffing ourselves, we wanted a light dinner so we went with soup, bread, and scones.  

At Bain's Beach Mum and I, in spite of the rain, stopped to watch a pair of loons looking for lunch.  Sadly, I couldn't get a picture because as soon as I would sufficiently zoom in, they would dive under and appear in a totally different spot a minute later.  On the other hand, I did get a picture of Jimmy Perez's house, as there was no one around to judge me for doing so.

I'm sure that's a familiar site to anyone who watched Shetland.

We puttered about at home until my sixth cousin, Helena, and her partner, Nigel came over for a cup of coffee and a visit.  How convenient it was that we had some excellent cake to share!  Not so ironically, Nigel worked with Elizabeth's son.  It's not ironic because everyone in Shetland can be connected not by six degrees of separation, but two at the most!

Also, I now have a local number to input for Tesco delivery.  I'm not saying how but the Tesco delivery van will no longer mock me!  

We'll be seeing Helena and Nigel again next Saturday, along with her mother, Betsy, whose 80th birthday was the impetus for last year's trip to Shetland.  Mum is very excited about that because she adores Betsy. 

Dinner was tattie soup and Reestit Mutton soup, the latter of which being a Shetland thing, but it's really a form of lamb stew, and remarkably delicious.  I recommend it if you ever come to Shetland.

The rest of the day was coordinating seeing all our other relatives as we've only got 11 days here to see everyone and we don't want anyone left out. Dad was busy messaging people all day.

As late as I was yesterday posting, I am early today because we want to be up and out to enjoy Lerwick tomorrow.  Hopefully, tomorrow will have more news to share.

Stats:

Dogs: 5

Loons: 2

Seagulls: Many.  Here's a representation:


No comments:

Post a Comment