Friday 21 June 2024

Day 16: You can't stop the beet

Before I begin today, I have to post a picture from yesterday at 10:34pm which was sunset time here in Shetland on the official longest day in the year.  Sun's up just after 3:30am.  You'd think all that light would disturb my sleep but I've slept very well since I've been here.

It may have been cloudy but the light is still quite clear.

Today is Simmer Dim, the day Shetlanders celebrate the longest day of the year.  Not much is happening this evening except a whole bunch of motorcyclists have invaded the island.  Also, German cruise ship passengers were everywhere today.  Everywhere I went today, German tourists.

It was a bit different as Mum, Dad, and I split up.  Mum and Dad went to Elizabeth's while I went to contribute to Lerwick's economy.  In other words, I went shopping on Commercial Street.

I started with going to the post office to mail back home a big box of souvenirs, wool, and books we've bought over the past week.  It may not be cheap but it's less expensive than an overweight baggage fee on a flight.

Next, I met a goat.  Yup, there was a goat on Commercial Street.

I may have petted the goat because she was only a few month old, very chill, and very cute.  

Next, I bought some presents for people who may or may not read this blog so I'm not going to be specific as to what I got or what store I got it in.  Let's just say there are several stores that contributed to this year's Christmas haul.

The other day I posted an photo of an empty Market Cross.  Today, I give you a very full Market Cross.

Along the way I also petted two English Springer Spaniels named Pickles and Olive.  Olive is Pickles' daughter and let me say Pickles makes pretty babies.  I wish I had taken a picture of them because Olive is the largest Springer Spaniel I've ever seen. She must've been a third larger than her mum.  Still, she was very cute and very friendly and only 10 months old so she still has a bit of growing to do.

Onward to buying more presents, I eventually wound up at Jamieson's where I controlled myself, probably because I'm still satisfied by my haul from Uradale a couple of days ago.

One chai tea latte from Blyde Welcome later, I wandered back to the flat, stopping at Bain's Beach to record what a beautiful day it was today.


There were no arctic terns at this point, but the seagull amused me as he was walking around like he owned the beach.  There are many people who would envy that gull's confidence.

A very exciting thing happened while I was walking away for Bain's Beach.  I heard a familiar voice, and when I looked, I realized my ears did not deceive me.  It was Ashley Jensen, the new star of Shetland, just walking down the street talking to someone who was wearing a Shetland badge. I did not disgrace myself by squealing or something, and just let her go on about her day.  The funny thing was, I thought Shetland filming was over, but I must be wrong if the star is still on the isles.

With Mum and Dad still at Elizabeth's I stayed at the flat and drank my latte, puttering about until a quarter to five, which was the time I needed to start heading down to No. 88 for dinner.  I could only hope that at that same moment, Mum and Dad were getting into a cab at Elizabeth's and we'd all meet at the restaurant.

The lack of terns at Bain's Beach was disappointing on the way down, but the temperature was comfortable and there was only a light breeze so I can't ask for too much more, now can I?

Arriving at No. 88 a couple of minutes before five, I ordered my espresso martini for myself and the rhubarb martini for Mum whenever she arrived.  That arrival was later than expected, not because they lost track of time, which I thought, but because getting into a cab at Elizabeth's a gull with great aim pooped all down the inside of the cab door, and also got my father's hand.  Thus, clean up needed to happen before they could drive down.  I'm going to choose to believe it was the same gull from Bain's Beach earlier in the day, because the level of confidence to hit not the outside, but the inside of a cab door for the brief period of time it's open is expert level.  I'm sure wherever he is, the gull is bragging to his friends about his direct hit.

Once Mum and Dad were settled at the restaurant, our drinks arrived.  Let me clarify before I post the picture that they were not served in buckets, it's just my poor photography making them look extra large.

From the perspective of that photo, I could've taken a dive into that glass.

Dinner's selection tonight was lamb, which if you know Mum, is her favourite meat.  I don't know how they cooked it but it was the most tender, juiciest lamb I've ever had.  

Underneath the asparagus was a childhood nemesis of mine, beets.  My Aunt Sharon used to serve them like they were the only vegetables available (probably because she grew them, and while I loved my Aunt Sharon, she was notoriously frugal) so I have the eat-them-or-else association with beets. I have now learned that I don't know what Aunt Sharon did with her beets, but No. 88 makes them delicious (once I got over my aversion and gave them a try).  I guess you can't stop the beet.

We ate everything and because we didn't over-stuff ourselves like yesterday, there was room for dessert.  Mum had, not so surprisingly, rhubarb cheesecake, and I had chocolate ganache with toffee ice cream.  Not a morsel was left by the time we were done.  Vacation calories don't count, do they?

We were given a two hour reservation at No. 88 and we left with 13 minutes left to spare.  I swear, we will go there every time we're in Shetland.

As the evening was just as nice as yesterday, we decided to walk back to the flat. Commercial Street was empty as all the cruise ships had left.  We practically had the whole walk to ourselves.


Stopping again at Bain's Beach, this time there were terns, and even a wild swimmer.  Now I grew up swimming in Georgian Bay, which can be chilly, but I think the North Sea is even too chilly for me, so applause for the brave soul swimming today.

I swear, when I took that picture, the terns and swimmer were clear, but as has been previously established, I am not a professional photographer.

The walk was accomplished in nearly half the time, so well done Dad, but he sort of collapsed when we got back to the flat.

Despite his tiredness, he did manage to eat his victory ice cream and have tea.  

This evening has been pretty calm, the ever present laundry, and always on Shetland.  Is there some sort of law that it has to be on every night for people in Shetland to watch a murderous version of their islands?  The dichotomy with Shetland and Shetland is that everything in Shetland is dour and sad and I find the islands the absolute opposite.  People who live here love this place and are often are anything but morose.  Most people here that I've met have been industrious, ingenious, and gracious, not morose.

Stats:

Goats: 1

Dogs: 6

Arctic Terns: 8 (all camera shy)





No comments:

Post a Comment