Saturday 15 June 2024

Day 10: A Person Can Develop a Cold

I do not apologize for the title.  I was raised by my mother, therefore, I know all the words to classic musicals.

Now, which one of us has a cold?  It's Dad.  It's just a cold, not the dreaded Covid, but he's not a happy camper about it.  Still, we have brunch tomorrow with Elizabeth and no one is missing that.  We'll just bring extra Kleenex.  (Guess what? It is real Kleenex here!  Come back to Canada, Kleenex! We miss you!)

Today was another not so busy day but we had to go out to find food, by we, I mean Mum and me.  There's a company in Scalloway that makes ready to eat meals and they deliver Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday, and Mum was not going to miss first choice.  In the 1980s, my Grandpa Jack lined up for hours to get first choice of a Cabbage Patch Kid for me.  Mum?  She lines up early for meals she doesn't have to cook.  

On the way there, Bain's Beach offered up some entertainment.  On one side of Jimmy Perez's house, all I could see were razorbills diving in and out of the water, which was fascinating enough.  


I will never be a wildlife photographer, so you will have to forgive the pictures.  They're the best I can do.

Anyway, on the Bain's Beach side of Jimmy Perez's house, was a flock, and I mean probably 100 arctic terns.  A local explained that they were eating sand eels, and that it's a good sign for the recovery of the bird population as the bird flu decimated the population a couple of years ago.




My inner 9 year old was thrilled because I did a project on the arctic tern when I was in grade 4 and it was one of my favourite projects I ever did in school.  This was the first time I'd ever seen one in person and I got 100 of them.  

For those of you wondering, and I'm sure it was utmost in your minds, did Mum make it to get her meal selections in spite of my insisting we stop and watch the birds?  Let me put your mind at ease.  We made it even before the delivery as the driver was running half an hour late.  Mum got her first pick of everything.

At the same time, while Mum was awaiting the delivery driver, I made a quick run to the tourist centre to pick up a few things, including postcards for the people who requested them.  I even got a book of an author I've been following on Twitter and its called Ponies at the Edge of the World.  The book is about a woman who moved to Shetland to study Shetland ponies.  I want her job.  I also want the ponies.

Getting back to Mum, she was excitedly going through the delivery boxes to the amusement of the driver, to keep us fed for the next couple of days.  

On the way back, I insisted we stop and watch the arctic terns again.  The birds were very busy eating, so much so that they completely ignored the group of wild swimmers who were also on the beach.





I also snapped some shots of mum, and vice versa.

Yes, that is a cruise ship out in the harbour.  I think I was behind every passenger that came to shore when I was at the tourist centre.

The arctic terns were not bothered by the cruise ship either.  Likely because it was far enough away but I choose to believe the birds weren't going to let their lives be dictated by tourists.

If you look very closely at the picture of me, you can see the terns behind me.  They are the most gorgeous birds and when they dive, they're better than Tom Daly (who I follow on Instagram not because of his diving, but because he is a serious knitter).  

Oh yes, and again, my phone felt the need to judge me.  This time it just sent me the emoticons I picked for Dad and his computer bag.

 It was a warmer wind today but the fog was so bad we could barely see the Isle of Bressay from our flat!

Back at the flat, today has been busy getting fluids into Dad, and letting him play on the computer.

Tonight for dinner were some of Mum's spoils from hunting and gathering.  We're to bed early tonight (no staying up and watching Shetland like we did last night) as we're off to breakfast at Fjara with Elizabeth.  It's our way of celebrating Father's Day, even if Dad is all sniffly during breakfast.

One last thing, we have something very rare in Shetland outside our flat window.  See if you can figure out what it is.

Stats:

Arctic Terns: 100

Razorbills: 5

Dogs: 2


No comments:

Post a Comment