Saturday 22 June 2024

Day 17: And a free coffee

Today we had to be up and bright and shiny by 11 as we were expecting guests: Helena was bringing her mum, Betsy, Mum's 5th cousin, to come visit.  To say my Mum adores Betsy is an understatement.  10 years ago, when Mum and Dad first came to Shetland, Betsy was the de facto tour guide and took them everywhere.  They still talk about how she could feed six baby lambs at a time when Mum and Dad could only handle two.  

Also, the photo they wanted to recreate behind the Braewick Cafe was taken by Betsy.  So to Mum, Shetland is Betsy.  She is the reason we came back last year to celebrate her 80th birthday, and through her we've met the most amazing relatives.  We are very fortunate Betsy came into Mum and Dad's lives.

I bought some treats yesterday at Blyde Welcome so we'd have something nice to serve.  We're winding down our time here so until I bought the treats, we had just enough food to get us through until Monday morning.

Oh, speaking of yesterday, I took a photo last night at 10:34pm, official sunset time, since it was Simmer Dim.  There's nothing dim about the sky.


I even took a photo facing Bressay and despite the fact that isle is in the east, it was still almost daylight bright over there.

Back to Betsy.  Helena arrived with not only Betsy but another relative, Jennifer (Betsy's niece) who we've been trying to arrange to see so this was most convenient.  Surprisingly, Betsy brought presents: a scarf and a cushion she knitted.  Mum's already claimed the scarf, but the cushion is in my colours, so I'm hoping to steal it for my room at home.  Now, Betsy did not need to bring presents, her presence is enough, but we're still grateful for them.

First and foremost, there were hugs. Then there was much talking on many subjects, as well as coffee and sweets, and I am relieved I picked up the treats yesterday.  

 Unfortunately, they could only stay for about an hour and half, as Helena rents out her uncle's former house and they had a new guest coming today.  We would happily stay there, but as there's only one bedroom and frankly, I'm too old to sleep on a couch, we have to pass on staying in a family-owned place.

Before they left, I insisted on pictures!  I felt silly that I didn't get a picture of Helena and Nigel the last time they were here so I wasn't passing up this opportunity.

The above are two of my sixth cousins. I have a really extended family and it is fabulous.

On the way out the door, I grabbed a picture of Betsy with Mum and Dad, and Betsy said she wanted to take the two of them with her.  Believe me, if that was possible, Mum and Dad would totally go.

Mum was a little sad when Betsy left because there really never is enough time, and we've decided, next time we come, we're spending at least a full two weeks in Shetland.

About an hour after Betsy, Helena, and Jennifer left, Mum and I made a trip downtown to mail off some more souvenirs.  I will always argue it's cheaper to do this, even though we've sent back four packages this year.  We've done a lot to contribute to the local economy.

We stopped one last time at Blyde Welcome where they had the cream cookies.  I adore the cream cookies and they've only had them once since we've been here so I may have gotten a little enthusiastic in public over cookies.  One thing I always do is get one of their loyalty cards, and we've been there enough this week that Dad's coffee was free.  Dad loves coffee.  He loves it even more when it's free.

On the way home, we stopped at Bain's Beach again to watch the terns dive in for lunch, literally, and we were surprised by how high the tides were.  Most of the beach was gone.


Mum and I also took a moment to take pictures of each other.  The direction I'm facing shows the side never seen in Shetland of Jimmy Perez's house.


I have one major complaint about my time here in Lerwick.  I am a huge follower of Tommy the cat.  He seems to be the supurrvisor of all things Lerweigan, and yet I've been here twice, and not come across him.  Is he avoiding me?  Do I need to spend more time at Thule Bar to finally see him?  I even brought him presents last year, and still, he eludes me. 

So I present to you another local cat who happened to be sitting in a windowsill beside our flat.  His name likely isn't Tommy, but he's still pretty cute.  

He also must be some form of acrobat as that windowsill is about ten feet off the ground with absolutely no obvious way for said cat to get help to get up there.

Tomorrow, Dad and I are going on the Seabirds-and-Seals boat trip so Dad can have his fill of the local Shetland wildlife.  It's at the very reasonable hour of 3:30pm, which gives us time to do some packing as tomorrow is our last full day in Lerwick.  I'm sad just thinking about it.

Stats: 

Dogs: 4

Arctic Terns: 3

Cats (not named Tommy): 1



No comments:

Post a Comment